Change your address with the RMV

If you change your address, you need to inform the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) about the change within 30 days.

Quick Actions

The Details


The RMV keeps a record of both your residential address (the number and street where you live) and your mailing address (the address where you receive mail). You are required by law to notify the RMV within 30 days of changing your address.


There is no fee to change your address.

If you want a replacement driver’s license, ID card, or registration that shows your new address, you may request a duplicate. The easiest way to get a duplicate is online. The RMV Schedule of Fees shows the cost of each duplicate document.

How to

There are 2 ways to change your address. 

You will need your:

  • Driver’s license or Massachusetts ID card number
  • Last 4 digits of your Social Security number


The easiest and quickest way to change your address is online.

Change your address online at myRMV 

By phone

You may call the RMV Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (except holidays). The number to call depends on your area code:

  • (857) 368-8000, from Massachusetts area codes 339, 617, 781, 857 or from outside of Massachusetts
  • (800) 858-3926, from all other Massachusetts area codes
  • TTY: (877) 768-8833, for people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing (in Massachusetts)

More info

If you don’t order a replacement driver's license, ID card, or vehicle registration, you should update your existing documents to show your new address.

  • Add your new address to the back of your driver's license or ID card in the designated area with permanent ink.
  • On your vehicle registration, use an address label or similar sticker to cover your old address and write in your new address.

Registered vehicles

If you have vehicles registered, you should:

  • Notify your insurance agent or company of your address change.
  • Contact your previous town assessor to find out if you are eligible for an abatement on your excise tax bill.

Voter registration

When you change your residential address, that information is sent to the Secretary of State and your city or town so your voter registration address can be updated. If you do not want to update your voter registration, you must specify that when you make your address change request.